In 1945, with the cooperation of the local people, Rev. Fr Leo Carvalho, the Parish Priest of Bajpe, at the outskirts of Mangalore city, founded St. Joseph's High School, to cater to the educational needs of the children of Bajpe and its surrounding villages. The institution became a Junior College in 1967 and came under the administration of the Catholic Board of Education, Mangalore. The Christian Brothers were invited to run St. Joseph's and Br C J Harrison became its first Brother Principal in 1979. St. Joseph's Junior College has grown in strength since and presently has 1075 students. In the last 35 years much infrastructural development in the form of new classrooms and an auditorium too have taken place.