St. Joseph's was initially established in 1888 as the site for a seminary, run by the Italian Capuchin Fathers. The seminary ran for a short while and then reopened as a boarding school for boys, St. Joseph's College. Hence, the school is still referred to as the 'SEM' (for Seminary). In 1892, four Christian Brothers took over the formal charge of St. Joseph's College and slowly built it into a reputed institution. St. Joseph's presently has 1079 students of which 348 are boarders and is one of the most scenically beautiful school campuses, particularly in winter. The SEM too has a number of illustrious ex-pupils, many of who gathered to celebrate its 125th Jubilee in October 2013.