As early as 1894, Mgr. Edmund Becker, the prefect Apostolic of Assam had conceived the idea of a boarding school for boys in Shillong. He convinced the Christian Brothers to take up the project. The pioneer, Br. Stanislaus O'Brien, stayed alone on the 24 acre property and saw the birth of St. Edmund's School. Mgr. Edmund Becker blessed the foundation stone and the school was named after his patron saint. St. Edmund's School was officially opened on 6th October 1916 by Sir Archdale Earle, Chief Commissioner of Assam. Boarding facilities were available till 1988. The School now has over 1600 students, and counts among its alumni, some of the most prominent persons in government and business in the entire North-east region. In 2000, a project for out-of-school children, giving them an opportunity to experiment with different vocational skills was started in the name of 'Providence'. Approximately 300 students are doing their schooling till Class 12 (NIOS) while simultaneously picking up important life skills to earn a livelihood on completion of their schooling.